Friday, December 15, 2006

the city is covered in a thick fog. much like myself.

The only good thing about having to be in Arlington at 8:30 in the morning to get your oil changed (aside from the fact that you only ever get any work done when you're sitting waiting for your car somewhere) is that the drive into Virginia allows you to see pretty much everything - the river, all the monuments, everything.

Except all of yesterday morning, the city was covered in a thick blanket of fog. So much so, that I was at the light at Massachusetts and Wisconsin but did not see the National Cathedral right in front of me.

On the way back, I thought the fog would have lifted, but it hadn't. See if you can figure out what this is, taken from my phone:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It looks like an optical illusion, doesn't it? Behind those trees you may be able to make out white brick - that's the Washington Monument. Shooting straight up into a cloud hovering just feet above the ground.

I did get to see this, though, which I saw for the first time about a month ago and absolutely love. I think it's my new favorite piece of the Washington skyline - the Air Force Memorial that was erected just this year. I'm not sure why it was visible through the fog when nothing else was, but it made my morning worthwhile.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I guess I'll get to see everything when I'm driving out of town Sunday, headed home for break, which I'm so excited about. I'd write more now, but I've got to cram in some more knowledge before heading off to my final final. Only three essay questions and seven and a half hours stand between me and a monthlong vacation. :) To all the DC people: I'll miss you a bunch. To all the Florida people: I've been missing you and can't wait to see you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home